The Accountant will be responsible for monthly report preparation for our Insurance underwriters and distribution partners, management of the accounts receivable and payable function, reconciliations of external payment platforms, and providing assistance with the preparation of accurate and timely financial accounts and information.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES / RESPONSIBILITIES
The main responsibilities you will have in this role include:
- Preparing weekly and monthly reports using excel for Insurance underwriters and distribution partners.
- Reconciliations of external payment platforms and internal reporting platforms using excel.
- Other report preparation tasks as requested.
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE AND INVOICE PROCESSING
- Assistance in managing the Accounts Payable function
- Maintain supplier accounts to ensure that all creditor information is kept up to date and creditor records on the Purchase System are correct, including the addition of new suppliers.
- Ensuring that invoices are processed on a timely basis after receipt.
- To ensure that invoices are paid by their due dates.
- To ensure that all invoices are appropriately authorised before payment is made.
- To prepare payment instructions and cheques/EFT for all accounts payable payments.
- To answer creditor or internal queries regarding invoices and payment details.
- To ensure that accounts payable documentation is filed in an orderly and accessible manner.
- Reconcile the accounts payable ledger to the general ledger promptly after each month end.
- To reconcile supplier’s statements when received to ensure that the information contained in the accounts payable sub-ledger is up to date and to chase up any queries arising.
- To make copies of all prepayment and fixed asset invoices in order to assist the month end reconciliation process.
- To manage the processing and recording of expense claims, credit cards, cash cards, cash advances and petty cash.
OTHER ACCOUNTING OPERATIONS
- Other duties will be assigned to the role based on an assessment of capacity to undertake these duties. These will be determined by the CFO and may include:
- Batching entries for credit card expense
- recurring payments into XERO
- Perform bank reconciliations for all bank accounts on a weekly and monthly basis.
- General assistance and any other ad hoc duties as they arise.
FORMAL EDUCATION AND TRAINING
The minimum qualifications for the position of Financial Accountant are:
- Accounting or similar degree;
- Current knowledge of commercial accounting environments; and
- Commitment to keep abreast of changes.
NECESSARY OR USEFUL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
The minimum skills and experience required for the position of Accountant are:
- 3 + years of accounting and finance experience;
- Understanding of foreign currency transactions;
- Insurance / Banking services industry experience preferred;
- Strong business acumen;
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Team orientated;
- Excellent management / organisational skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills, attention to detail a must.
- Ability to work unsupervised;
- Advanced EXCEL skills;
- Proficient WORD skills;
- Passion for technology;
- Self-starting and motivated;
- Focus on time management and delivering to deadlines;
- Preference, but not essential for knowledge and experience in working with the XERO accounting system.