POSITION: Sub/Copy Editor
The sub-editor is responsible for ensuring all content produced by Momentum Media is of a consistently high quality and adheres to Momentum Media style guidelines. This includes ensuring the factual, structural and grammatical accuracy of print and digital content across the entire suite of Momentum brands.
The sub-editor works closely with editorial staff and production editors to communicate changes or queries around articles.
Sub-edit work to ensure all of Momentum Media’s editorial, print or digital, is of the highest standards. This includes:
- Check facts and stories to ensure they are accurate, adhere to copyright laws, are not libelous or go against the publication's policy, editing where necessary
- Liaising with writers to clarify facts and details about an article
- Editing copy to remove spelling mistakes and grammatical errors
- Cutting text to meet required word counts
- Ensuring articles adhere to the Momentum editorial ‘style’
- Ensure each story has all the required elements for design/publication, including (where necessary) pull quotes, standfirst, headline, caption, high resolution image
- Proofreading magazine layouts using InDesign and correcting errors to adhere to house style. These may include: typos, incorrect or missing captions, missing page furniture (straplines, pull quotes, page numbers, end notes etc.)
- Proofread marketing, events, research and other Momentum-related work. This includes:
- Liaising with events/marketing and content team to fact check content and edit where necessary
- Ensure that articles adhere to the Momentum editorial ‘style’
- Maintain and update production and sub-editing administrative documents in accordance with relevant systems and procedures
- Various administrative tasks will also be an important part of your role.
- You will participate in any training, mentoring, workshops etc. designed to benefit your professional development.